Cape Town, South Africa
I am the eldest of four girls born and raised in South Africa with my roots extending to France. My home language is French, with family playing the biggest role in my life. I am currently in my final year of Biokinetics at Stellenbosch University, having already graduated with a degree in Sports Science and a degree in High Performance Sports, it comes without saying that I have an immense passion for fitness and helping those around me. In my spare time I devise training programs and manage social media accounts to help girls and guys alike achieve their fitness goals.
DID YOU ALWAYS HAVE A PASSION FOR FITNESS AND WAS DECIDING TO STUDY BIOKINETICS ALWAYS A DREAM OF YOURS?
I grew up with very active parents and therefore was fortunate enough to be exposed to sport my whole life, Gymnastics, Karate, kitesurfing, netball and swimming to name a few. My passion for fitness started at the age of 14 when I first introduced to the gym. I quickly learnt that exercise was the best form of therapy and after school I knew that I wanted to pursue a career helping others create sustainable lifestyle changes, increasing their wellbeing and quality of life. This lead me to Biokinetics, which uses exercise as a rehabilitative modality for both orthopaedic injuries and chronic diseases alike. Now in my 5th & final year, I could not be happier and more excited for what the future holds.
WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT YOUR ACTIVE LIFESTYLE AND WHAT ACTIVITIES DO YOU LOVE THE MOST?
What I have learnt from working in Biokinetics, is that exercise and living an active lifestyle does not only keep your body fit, but it keeps your brain and organs functioning properly, prevents chronic diseases and helps to keep you young and independent as long as you stay consistent. Living an active lifestyle allows me to live my best life whilst helping me to connect to people, making a positive change in others’ lives. My current favourite disciplines include, Gymming, Surfing, Running, Hiking, Yoga, Martial Arts.
WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 5 WORKOUT TIPS?
- Train Smart, not hard. You don’t need to spend more than 30min-60min in the gym to see results with proper training.
- Circuit training is my favourite! Keeps the intensity high, heart rate up and training session fun. Also It’s a great way to burn more calories in less time whilst, getting a full body workout.
- Consistency is key for reaping all the benefits that exercise has to offer! Try not going more than 2 days without training.
- Fuel your body properly! You can not out train a bad diet. So make sure that you fuel your body with whole foods throughout the day.
- Rest is important to prevent burnout, injury and fallouts. Listen to your body and take a rest day at least 1-2 days per a week.
WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE WHO IS LOOKING TO BECOME MORE ACTIVE?
- Start slow, don’t rush or jump in too fast otherwise you will set yourself up for failure.
- Start with 2-3 training sessions per week and build on that every 3-4 weeks.
- If you beginning with resistance training, start with Compound and fundamental bodyweight exercises such as Glute Bridges, Lunges, Squats, push ups and planks.
- Plan your weeks, schedule your workouts into your days at the start of the new week.
- If you are unsure of what exercises to perform check out my Instagram @Taratineka as I post workouts every second to third day.